Skydiving Height

teamrose

After watching the space jump and seeing how high a person can dive, I have a new question. How low can a person dive? In other words, what is the lowest height a person can dive from and still have the parachute safely open for a safe landing?

Jessi

For commercial jumping, you're really not going to see it under 2,000 ft. You can survive at less than that, but it's usually only emergency situations. I know at about 300ft, if you open the chute, it's only going to be open for a couple seconds before you hit the ground. It's a rocky landing, but at least it's something to slow the impact a bit.

teamrose

I've not heard of those stealth jumps. I was looking at some old footage of a guy jumping off an office building using a chute. I wondered how high that was? How did he determine how high one must be in order to jump safely. A lot of math must go into the calculation in order to prevent a death.

wander_n_wonder

After watching the space jump and seeing how high a person can dive, I have a new question. How low can a person dive? In other words, what is the lowest height a person can dive from and still have the parachute safely open for a safe landing?

This is exactly what I'm wondering about. I've seen some freak accidents already where the parachute literally touched on something and exploded. Also there are accidents where it's already too late to open the parachute and the diver literally just shoots down on the floor.

teamrose

This was such a great question, I had to Google to find the right answer. Here it is:
How low do skydivers deploy their parachutes?

The United States Parachute Association sets minimum pack opening altitude at 2,000 feet AGL(Above Ground Level as opposed to MSL -- Mean Sea Level) for experienced skydivers, 2,500 feet for slightly less experienced skydivers, and up to 5,500 feet for certain training jumps. These recommended pull altitudes are largely respected and observed in the skydiving community. An exception to this rule are properly trained & equipped BASE jumpers.