Buying all yourself? Because you like to make it your hobby?

Maybe a strange question, but I ask this because I was talking about this with a person at home. What if you really like this sport, can you then buy your own gear, and what kind of price will it be. I was telling to my friend where I had the discussion with, that you will probably can buy all, (You can buy everything these days!) but that it would be expensive.
What do you know about this?

Jessi

I would really only recommend this if you're going to become an instructor. Then it would be worthwhile to buy your equipment. The problem with doing it randomly as a hobby is that not every place is going to allow you to use your own equipment for liability/insurance reasons.

I talk about it with someone, and they said exactly the same. Liability/insurance is the biggest issue in this. So, renting is the best thing to do. Thank you for your response.

Oh that makes sense. Why would you want to potentially pay insurance when someone else is maintaining equipment. I wonder if you could buy it, store it at a place you regularly go to, and let them maintain it at reduced cost?

The only reason I'd want to keep my skydiving equipment is nostalgia.

Jessi

The only reason I'd want to keep my skydiving equipment is nostalgia.

But then what would you do with it? You could jump with it again, but why not use theirs then? And it's not like you can really double up and use that kind of equipment for other activities usually.

I totally agree - that's why I'm saying its the only reason I can think of for keeping the equipment. Unless you're the type of person who's sentimental about objects, then why buy the equipment?

teamrose

This totally clears up my desire to buy and pack my own gear. I just know I'm going to love this expensive hobby and want to know what I'm getting myself into beforehand. What about the jumpsuits, do you also rent those?

Jessi

What about the jumpsuits, do you also rent those?

I would assume that's part of the package. As in, it's either included in the equipment rental fee otherwise, or it's part of the cost of the dive. I really can't imagine them charging you to use the jumpsuits for a few minutes.