Red Bull Stratos - a jump from 120,000 feet above the earth

Margit

Staff member
The parachute has opened after 4 minutes 19 seconds.

Of course his family is watching too:
rb4.png

Margit

Staff member
And a safe landing! Congratulation Felix Baumgartner and Red Bull!!!

Aerospace history!

rb5.png

Margit

Staff member
3 new world records:
  • Altitude record for managed balloon flight
  • The highest jump from more than 128,000 feet
  • Speed record for fastest free fall: 729 mph or 1173 km/h
The only record he wasn't able to break is Kittingers record for the longest free fall because Baumgartner was falling too fast.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

teamrose

Can anyone explain why this guy didn't become unconscious flying through the air at 800 miles per hour? Or why the speed didn't rip his limbs off?

Or why it didn't raise his blood pressure?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You wont become unconscious at this speed, that's just the same when traveling in a plane. He had a pressure suit and helmet protecting him from low temperatur and providing oxygen.

The most difficult phase was when he started spinning and this was also the only time when he nearly lost consciousness :(

teamrose

Wow, just wow. That link explaining the pressure suit is really interesting. I wondered what would happen if he became unconscious and couldn't pull the rip cord. It says that suit is so advanced, you don't even have to pull the cord. I was reading the jump cost $10 million. Now is that just because that was the first jump of its type, or will future sound breaking jumps be as expensive?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't believe $10 million are enough for such a project, I expect it more to be in the $50 million range. The project started in 2005, the suite had to be developed by a company and so many were involved...