Weight Restrictions

teamrose

My male friend is 6'5 and weigh 248 pounds. He is a tall, lean muscled machine. He was told he is too heavy for skydiving. This is so sad since I've seen pictures of them dropping jeeps and elephants out of planes, and landing them softly with a parachute. What gives?

Jessi

It all depends on the company. He could check with a different one who might allow him to jump at that weight. What were their restrictions?

And yes, they drop other heavier things, but they have different equipment for it, too. They would have special parachutes to hold that weight, for example, and different insurance policies that would cover damages.

wander_n_wonder

My male friend is 6'5 and weigh 248 pounds. He is a tall, lean muscled machine. He was told he is too heavy for skydiving. This is so sad since I've seen pictures of them dropping jeeps and elephants out of planes, and landing them softly with a parachute. What gives?

Maybe they are just concerned about safety. I also think that there are different standards when it comes to this per country. If the safety procedures in a country are better and they have more safety equipment available, they might be more considerate.

teamrose

Maybe they are just concerned about safety. I also think that there are different standards when it comes to this per country. If the safety procedures in a country are better and they have more safety equipment available, they might be more considerate.
It's all about insurance regulations. Your friend may be a tall, lean, muscled machine, but the average man weighing 248 pounds is just a big lump of lard. The company is only following the guidelines of their insurance provider because let's face it, this is one sue happy country. Has your friend tried more than one skydiving place?