How many bad (Deadly) jumps are there on year base?

I was wondering how often this sport killed someone? Maybe not a thing I need to know, but I do want to ask it. Sorry. But how many deadly accidents are there in the USA?

Jessi

http://www.dropzone.com/fatalities/

^ This site is unofficial, so I don't know exactly how accurate it is. It has a nice breakdown of fatalities, though. It looks like there's an average of about 60 a year. That's worldwide, too, and not just the US, so it seems pretty rare.

Jessi

Oh, here we go:

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/skydiving8.htm

This one has stats from the US Skydiving Incident Report which says about 30 people die every year....which is about 1 per 100,000 jumps.

To compare that to other accidents, you have the risk of dying in a car wreck as 1 in 6,000....which is more riskier than the 100,000 of skydiving.

But still, lets say 30 a year in the USA. It is still a lot. And I see in the statistics of that site that there are experience jumpers that die, but also with no experience. I think it is still a lot ...

Jessi

I guess it's all about how you look at it. I really don't think 30 is that much. When you look at it from the side of 100,000 jumps, only one goes wrong? And it's sometimes the fault of the person jumping....not sheer accident.

I think that I am just afraid about doing a jump for the first time, and looking at all kind of excuses not to jump. Yes, I admit I am afraid ... Sorry :-( Anybody else here afraid for the first jump ?

Jessi

I think everyone is afraid for their first jump!

I actually have a friend who is training to be an instructor. He has to have 250 jumps under his belt and he's currently at 84.

He's jumped from a plane 84 times already and he says he still gets nervous before every jump anyway, ha. I guess that's part of the appeal?

I think everyone is afraid for their first jump!

I actually have a friend who is training to be an instructor. He has to have 250 jumps under his belt and he's currently at 84.

He's jumped from a plane 84 times already and he says he still gets nervous before every jump anyway, ha. I guess that's part of the appeal?
Wow, 250 jumps is a lot. I am still in search for my first jump, and it is harder then I was thinking to find the "right" place. But if I read here that an experience person that already has jumped 84 times is still afraid than I have nothing to be ashamed about it.

Jessi

Nope, not at all! I think it's especially nerve-wracking for the very first jump because you have no idea what it's going to be like. They tell you what to do, but because you've never done it before, you're going to be even more nervous. I have a feeling that you'll love it, though!

Jessi, that sounds so true - a lot of it is probably anxious first timers. ALso, if you do your first jump in tandem with an instructor, I'm sure it'll make the process safer and less worrisome. Good luck, Freedombiker!